So, I was reading back on some of my posts and I sound so NEGATIVE! I realized that I may also have offended some people, which I feel bad about. When I originally wrote the post about me working and my struggles, I was just venting and putting it all out there, and not thinking about what I was really writing. The things I said about people in my ward weren't targeted at any one person, it is more so the attitude I feel when I go to church and talk about working. Especially when I miss an activity or have to go home after sacrament to sleep. SO, that all being said, I am sorry internet universe for being so negative! I am working through my work struggles, and I am super grateful to all who are supportive! The comments people said made me feel better. And all my good friends and family have been WONDERFUL and I'm so glad they aren't sick of listening to me!
I was reading an article that was given in the April 2011 General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints tonight that has been my saving grace during the last year and a half. It is entitled "LDS Women are Incredible!" by Quentin L. Cook (to read the full article go here). The talk is about the service of women in the church and our devotion to our children and to our Heavenly Father. He said, "God placed within women divine qualities of strength, virtue, love, and the willingness to sacrifice to raise future generations of His spirit children." I love that. I hope that I have those qualities. I know there are times when I feel inadequate, which I'm sure most women do. When I have those feelings of inadequacy, I try to rely on my Savior to make up for the portions that I lack.
He makes it clear on where our church stands in terms of womanhood, "Our doctrine is clear: Women are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves them. Wives are equal to their husbands. Marriage requires a full partnership where wives and husbands work side by side to meet the needs of the family."
My most favorite part of this talk is one paragraph at the end. He discusses the role of women in terms of the family. He said the apostles of the church recognize the difficult choices facing women and families. He touches very briefly on the choice to work outside the home, which is obviously my personal struggle:
"These are very emotional, personal decisions, but there are two principles that we should always keep in mind. First, no woman should ever feel the need to apologize or feel that her contribution is less significant because she is devoting her primary efforts to raising and nurturing children. Nothing could be more significant in our Father in Heaven’s plan. Second, we should all be careful not to be judgmental or assume that sisters are less valiant if the decision is made to work outside the home. We rarely understand or fully appreciate people’s circumstances. Husbands and wives should prayerfully counsel together, understanding they are accountable to God for their decisions."
I try really hard not to be rude about women who are stay-at-home moms; I don't have any right to judge, because that is ultimately what I want! But, our situation is so different than the norm. I love that he says that we are accountable to God for our decisions. I try very hard to follow the spirit, and thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who supports the decisions I make.
Anyways, I tried writing this post with a more humble attitude, and no venting, as I did before. As I said in my contentment post, I am trying to be happy with what I have, and hope for the best! It is a daily challenge!
No comments:
Post a Comment